After Weston passed away from acute kidney failure, I racked my brains trying to figure out what could have happened. The only possibility is that there is some stray aspirin in the house, but even that was very unlikely scenario since we don’t really use aspirin and I don’t think we spilled any.
Recently, our newly adopted kitten was checked out by the vet and he was also diagnosed with enlarged heart, just like Weston. I started to look around on the web to read up more and I stumbled upon page that, as I read it, hit me like a ton of bricks:
- Lily Poisoning in Cats
- Easter Lilies Can be Deadly For Your Cat (by Cat Fanciers)
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
A few days before Weston got sick, my husband and I got into a fight which ended in James offering me a bouquet flowers. Lilies are among my favorite flowers, so there were a few kinds of lilies in the bouquet. We had originally placed the pretty flowers on the dining table until we noticed that kitties nibbled on it, then moving it to the top of the bookshelf.
I feel like I have been gut-punched.