I have never had any home economics education, so I had to learn quite a lot on my own, but here are a few things that I think a modern-day home economics course should teach:
- How to do a home budget with salary, tax, cost of living, etc.
- How to pick out food ingredients and read nutritional labels
- How to hem jeans, pants, or dresses
- How to iron a shirt
- How to fold fitted sheets
- What proper fit (clothing) looks like
- How to clean a house
- How a toilet works
- How to cook a week’s worth of meals from scratch
- How to read nutritional content labels
- How long foods last and how to store them
- How kitchen tools work and how to care for them
Of course, I can probably list more… but then these are the kind of things I plan on exploring in this blog.What kind of things would you want to learn from a home economics course?